This page may contain affiliate links. In addition to sharing our personal experiences, we often write about products and services that we use ourselves or that we believe would be a helpful resource for you. To support our work, and remain a free website, we receive a commission from some of the links we share.
During the job interview, they are consciously and unconsciously judging based on your visual and verbal communication.
While business attire today runs the gamut allowing for more individual expression, it also is a path that leads to error.
Preparation is key.
The job candidate who shows up wearing the right clothes may gain a competitive edge.
When preparing for a job interview here are few things to consider:
- Familiarize yourself with the company’s business, its competition, and the marketplace.
- Familiarize yourself with the company’s dress code.
- Beyond dressing well and making a professional presentation, you want your choice of clothes to type with the prospective organization’s culture.
- It is always smarter to err on the over dressed side. But if the company’s interviewer happens to be partial to cotton chinos and a company polo shirt, then showing up in a business suit and black lace-ups would not be be putting your best foot forward.
NOTE: If you arrive in a coat and tie and you feel you’re over dressed, what a great opportunity to demonstrate your self-confidence by asking the individual interviewing you if they mind if you remove your coat.
- Appropriate interview attire sends the message that here is an applicant who did their homework.
- Think about the way the person interviewing you may dress.
- Try to objectively see yourself through the eyes of a stranger; consider what your clothes may announce about you.
More Tips About Dressing For The Job Interview
- Job Interview Attire For Men
- Appropriate Interview Clothing
- Photos Of Men’s Suits Appropriate For The Interview
I’ve been in the men’s clothing business since 1991. My specialty is custom-tailored suits and shirts, as well as men’s accessories.