This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to yourself.
Whether you’re a graduate entering the business world or a seasoned veteran in your profession, the first suit you must own (and replace before any other when needed) is none other than the navy solid suit.
The navy solid is, without question, the most important suit you will ever own.
To truly understand the importance of this suit, you must first understand the psychology behind it and what the color navy represents.
Navy Color Meanings
Navy, psychologically, is honest.
When you stop to consider the dynamics of this in the political world, for example, you will notice that 99.9% of the time our President (or any other public official) speaks before a national audience, he is wearing a navy solid suit.
A wise and astute litigating attorney, when presenting his opening statement before the judge and jury, will be wearing a navy solid suit.
There are more appropriate opportunities to wear the navy solid suit than any other suit in your wardrobe.
Let the following be your guide for wearing a navy solid suit …
The navy solid suit shows the best advantage professionally when worn for:
- Business appointments with new customers
- Board meetings
- Speaking engagements
- Business and civic evening engagements
- Being recognized or receiving an award
The navy solid suit shows the best advantage socially when worn for:
- Fine dinners and concerts with your bride or significant other
- Semi-formal engagements when black tie is not required
- Religious and holiday engagements
Important: The navy solid suit demands the formality of a dress shirt and tie. Any attempt to dress this suit to a look of business casual will only reveal your lack of understanding of style and good taste.
Men’s Style Commandment #147: Navy number one.
If you can own only one suit, make it navy. It’s the most versatile color and can be dressed up or down.
More About Navy Solid Suits
- Tips For Wearing A Navy Suit With Style
- What To Wear With A Navy Blue Blazer
- Choosing The Right Shoes To Wear With A Navy Suit
- Men: Know Your Navy Suit
- Choosing Men’s Suits: A Focus On Color
- How To Choose A Dress Shirt For A Navy Suit
I’ve been in the men’s clothing business since 1991. My specialty is custom-tailored suits and shirts, as well as men’s accessories.